Tile Floor Refinishing Tips and FAQs
Tile flooring is the most common type of flooring used in bathrooms and kitchens because it is durable and moisture resistant. However, tile flooring can still become dirty, stained, or faded, requiring regular cleaning to keep them looking their best. The grout lines can also become susceptible to mold or mildew growth when wearing of the finish causes water and moisture to accumulate in the grout.
Even with regular cleaning, tile flooring may become faded or discolored over time, leading many homeowners to wonder if they should replace the tiles. Tile floor refinishing, also referred to as reglazing, is a more cost-effective method to restore the original appearance of the tile flooring with a new coating that will protect the floor and make it much easier to clean and maintain.
Tile floor refinishing costs homeowners a fraction of the cost to fully replace the floor. Bathtub refinishing contractors can add tile floor refinishing to the services they offer to attract a wider range of customers and increase their revenue from current clients that call for bathtub refinishing. In this guide, we discuss important tile floor refinishing tips as well as the most frequently asked questions about the process.
If you want to add tile floor refinishing to your bath refinishing services, talk to a NAPCO representative about our tile floor coating products.
How Do You Refresh Old Tile Floors?
The buildup of dirt, moisture, and mildew can make tile flooring in the bathroom look dull or dirty over time. When this happens, homeowners can take steps to refresh the original appearance of the tile flooring and save the cost and trouble of replacing the floor.
Here are three approaches homeowners can take to refresh old tile flooring:
Homeowners should clean tile flooring regularly to remove surface dirt and grime, but a deeper cleaning may be required if the flooring becomes too worn out. Before cleaning the tile, first run hot water in the bathroom for a few minutes. The steam and heat from the water will open the pores of ceramic tiles which makes them easier to clean. Then apply the cleaning solution and scrub the surface of the tile gently with a brush to avoid damaging the tile. The grout lines must be scrubbed as well to remove mold and mildew.
Homeowners can use the following solutions to clean tile flooring:
- Baking soda and vinegar: The combination of baking soda and vinegar is a highly effective natural cleaning solution for tile flooring. Either apply vinegar or sprinkle baking soda on the floor and scrub the solution using a non-abrasive sponge or brush. For deeper cleaning, combine the vinegar and baking soda to create a paste and use a non-abrasive sponge or brush to scrub the tile with the paste. Rinse the tile with fresh water after letting the solution sit.
- Store-bought cleaners: Store bought solutions like lime scale removers can be used to remove tough dirt and stains. Make sure to follow the directions of the product and use non-abrasive materials to scrub the floor. Keep in mind that these harsh cleaners are more likely to cause damage to the tiles than natural solutions.
Painting the Tiles
Painting the tiles to refresh their color is another way to refresh tile flooring without replacing it. To do this, you will need to remove the grout and clean the tiles before applying primer and paint. Make sure to choose paints that are moisture and mold resistant.
Shine the Tiles
Sometimes simply shining the tiles can be enough to refresh their appearance. To do this, make a mixture of hot water with a few drops of mild soap. Use a mop to clean the tiles with this solution until all dirt and grime is removed. You can then shine the tiles by buffing them with a microfiber cloth or dust mop.
Can a Tile Floor be Reglazed?
It is possible to reglaze tile flooring that consists of natural stone, porcelain, or ceramic tiles. When cleaning the tile flooring to maintain its appearance has become too much work or ineffective, homeowners may prefer to have their tile flooring reglazed to refresh its appearance and make it easier to clean. Effective tile floor reglazing can brighten and restore the current finish, reseal the grout, or update the color and texture.
How Can I Tell if a Tile Floor Needs Refinishing?
Your tile floor may need to be refinished if the tile has dulled or become dirty and cleaning the tile makes little difference. You may also want to change the color or texture of the tile for a new look or to upgrade the space. Damage to the tiles such as chips, cracks, scratches, and stains are also signs that the tile could benefit from refinishing.
Professional bath and tile refinishers can help homeowners determine if their tile needs to be refinished and discuss options for either refreshing the original appearance of the tile or creating a new color or texture.
How to Refinish the Tile Floor?
Refinishing the tile floor can be a DIY project for homeowners, but it is generally better to hire a professional bathtub and tile refinisher to handle the job. They have the tools, reglazing products, and experience to provide quality results and drastically improve the appearance of the tile.
Professional tile refinishers generally follow these steps for tile floor refinishing:
- Clean and repair the tile: The first step in the process is to thoroughly clean the tile flooring to remove dirt, stains, grime, and soap scum. Professionals will use the best products for the specific type of tile. They will also repair chipped, broken, or loose tiles so that the surface is smooth.
- Light sanding: After allowing the tile surfaces to dry, they should be lightly sanded using fine-grit sandpaper. This process ensures that the existing finish is completely removed and creates a rough texture on the tile surfaces that allows for better adhesion of the new coating.
- Apply surface coating: Bath and tile refinishing contractors use professional grade coatings to refinish the tiles for long-lasting results. Coatings can be used to refresh the original appearance of the tiles or give them a new color. NAPCO spray-on tile floor coatings only take two hours to cure, and the flooring can be used again in 24 hours.
- Apply sealant: The final step is to apply a sealant after the coating has completely dried to protect the tile. The sealant helps extend the life of the tile flooring by protecting against moisture, stains, and general wear and tear.
How Can I Change Floor Tile Color Without Replacing?
Homeowners that want to change the color of their tile flooring can do so by choosing a tile floor coating of their desired color. The glaze can be applied over the existing tile and grout lines to create a seamless new color and prevent mildew buildup on the grout.
You should put some thought into a new color so that you choose one that goes with the décor of your bathroom.
How Much Does It Cost to Reglaze Tile Floors?
The average cost of reglazing tile flooring with a contractor is between $4 and $10 per square foot. This makes the average overall cost of these projects just over $1000. It is possible to complete these projects with a DIY kit for between $100 and $150 but the quality of your work may not reach the quality of professional reglazing. You may also have to invest several hundred dollars before reglazing yourself to repair any damage to the tile and grout.
Is Tile Refinishing Worth It?
Tile refinishing is worth it because it results in a durable finish that refreshes and protects the flooring for less than the cost of replacing the tiles. Replacing tile flooring can cost between $1500 and $4500 on average depending on the type of tile while tile floor refinishing costs an average of around $1000. Having a professional reglaze your tile flooring is also an easier alternative to painting the tiles which requires regrouting.
The impressive, long-lasting results at a fraction of the cost of replacing the tiles makes tile refinishing worth it.
Adding Tile Floor Refinishing Services Helps Bath Refinishing Contractors Expand Their Business
Contractors that provide bath refinishing services can easily expand their business and increase revenue by adding tile floor reglazing to their offered services. NAPCO offers tile floor semi-gloss spray-on coatings that allow bathtub refinishers to provide quality tile floor reglazing.
With these products, you can immediately start offering tile floor reglazing as an add on service for new customers that call you for bathtub refinishing. You can also reach out to previous customers who were satisfied with your services and offer professional tile floor refinishing. Bundling your bathtub and tile floor refinishing services for an attractive price can help you close your warm leads. With the ability to refinish the bathtub, vanity, tile flooring, and the tile surrounding bathtubs, sinks, and showers, you can offer your customers a mini bathroom remodel at a fraction of the cost of a full remodel.
Call NAPCO for Tile Floor Refinishing Products
NAPCO is a premier supplier of bathtub and tile refinishing products, including our effective semi-gloss spray-on tile floor coatings. If you are interested in expanding your service offerings and increasing revenue by adding tile floor refinishing services, call NAPCO at (800) 888-1081 for more information about our products.