NAPCO’s Tips for Working with Waterborne Primer & Coatings
With the recent expansion of the NAPCO Kitchen Renew product line of waterborne products, we have had some questions directed to us regarding the prep and application process of water-based products. How is this application process different from using solvent-based coatings? Do I have to learn a new technique to apply wet-on-wet? Are there additional steps that I have to account for? Waterborne coatings take a long time to dry, how will this save time?
The major difference in the application of a waterborne coating versus a solvent-based coating is the drying process. As water-based refinishing solutions continue to gain popularity, we have compiled our top tips to ensure you get the best results when working with NAPCO’s waterborne products.
Applying Waterborne Primer
The brand new Kitchen Renew Waterborne Primer is an eco-friendly, sprayable water-based primer that allows you to prep and prime kitchen cabinets and countertops– the first of its kind in the industry! Apply as a base color to provide adhesion and solid coverage, as well as hide dark stains and/or wood grain on cabinets prior to applying the topcoat to give a smooth, factory-like finish.
- When applying on a countertop as a primer, spray two light tack coats prior to applying the Flint-Stone™ coating, waiting approximately 5 minutes in between coats.
- For priming cabinets, spray two to three regular coats of Waterborne Primer before moving onto the topcoat application, waiting approximately 5-10 minutes between coats.
Applying Kitchen Renew waterborne coatings
Our Kitchen Renew waterborne coatings have all-in-one benefits that include no thinner, no catalyst and no mixing. Because of their time-saving properties, these coatings do leave less room for mistakes. By following the tips outlined below, your refinishing job is sure to go smoothly and quickly.
1. Cleaning and prepping prior to spraying our Kitchen Renew coatings is very similar to cleaning and prepping for bathtubs, showers, and/or tile. However, it is very important to remember that grease is the enemy in the kitchen! Use a strong degreaser like TSP or Dirtex to ensure that all grease is removed. Otherwise, you will have blistering or lack of adhesion in the areas where grease still exists.
2. Application of the Kitchen Renew waterborne coatings is slightly different than the solvent-borne coatings. We recommend that you slightly adjust your spray technique by standing further back from the surface and moving faster than normal due to the quicker dry time.
And remember to always keep your gun moving! Runs or sags are mostly caused by overapplication in one place – this is easily prevented by continuous movement.
3. After application is complete, anything left in the pot and in your gun can be strained and put back into its original container for later use, resulting in considerably less waste.
4. Clean up made easier! Usually, warm water flushed through the gun, inside the pot, and on the outside of the gun is enough to clean everything. If you do have to deal with overspray on a surface, be sure to use a non-scratch scrubpad and warm water with gentle scrubbing to remove the overspray and do it as soon as possible after spraying.
5. Once application is complete, wait approximately 20-30 minutes before you start removing all masking, being careful to not mar the freshly refinished surface when doing so.
Overall, the steps and techniques that result in proper, quality refinishing don’t change significantly when working with waterborne products. There are some slight application nuances to be aware of that we have outlined above, and we do always recommend practicing this application wet-on-wet so you are completely comfortable with the process. With these tips in mind, prepping and applying NAPCO’s waterborne products is just as effective and as easy to use as solvent-based products. Additionally, using NAPCO’s waterborne products will save you more time and money on the job while being environmentally friendly.
NAPCO stays committed to providing waterborne solutions that are environmentally friendly, less hazardous for you and your customers AND produce excellent results.
Don’t wait, start using NAPCO’s Waterborne Primer and Kitchen Renew waterborne coatings today.
For more Information on Kitchen Renew and its product benefits, click here.